Rooted in the finest traditions of summer camping, Camp Alleghany was founded in 1922 by Dr. Walter Hullihen, founder and owner of Camp Greenbrier for Boys. With the help of director Hugh Worthington, Dr. Hullihen modeled Alleghany after Camp Aloha in Vermont, where his daughter Helen attended as a young girl. The programs and traditions established in those early years continue today with true faith to the founders' ideals.Camp Alleghany's leadership passed to the Dawson family in 1963 when S. Cooper Dawson, Jr. became the director and owner. Alleghany continues today under the directorship of his son, Sam Dawson. With the help of his staff, and the assistance of his wife Bonnie and daughter Elizabeth, Sam works to continue the ideals begun in 1922 and provide girls a place to grow in confidence and develop their leadership potential.
Note: Roll over image for more information